Roman & Littlefield (forthcoming October 2013)
In Extreme Wine, wine economist and best-selling author Mike Veseth circles the globe searching for the best, worst, cheapest, most expensive, and most over-priced wines. Mike seeks out the most outrageous wine people and places and probes the biggest wine booms and busts. Along the way he applauds celebrity wines, tries to find wine at the movies, and discovers wines that are so scarce that they are almost invisible. Why go to such extremes? Because. Mike argues, the world of wine is growing and changing, and if you want to find out what’s really happening you can’t be afraid to step over the edge. Written with verve and appreciation for all things wine, Extreme Wine will surprise and delight readers.
- Why are the most expensive wines not always the best and the cheapest almost never the worst?
- Why is there sometimes only a tiny difference between the best wines and the worst ones?
- Andy Warhol said that everyone (and everything?) would be famous for 15 minutes – so why does the fame of some wines endure for centuries?
- What are the rarest and most ubiquitous wines and why are “$20-bill wines” almost impossible to find?
- Sometimes it seems like celebrities ruin almost everything they touch. So why are celebrity wines sometimes excellent and even historic?
- What have been the biggest wine booms and busts and what do they tell us about the wine business?
- What does the world’s “oldest living wine” taste like?
- What are the best wine movies (and why aren’t there more of them)?
- How is fine wine like grand opera (and is that a good thing)?
- Who are the most extreme wine people and what are the most extreme wine-tourist destinations?
- What is the future of wine in the BRIC nations (Brazil, Russia, India, and China) and why should you care?
- In a world defined by money, media, and fame, does the eternal essence of wine endure? Or will it be tossed in the dustbin in the mobile-enabled drive-through culture of the future?
- If you travel to the end of the earth and back in search of extreme wine experiences, what do you learn?
Table of Contents
1. X-Wines: In Vino Veritas?
2. Best and the Worst
3. The Fame Game
4. The Invisible Wine
5. Money Wine
6. Extreme Wine Booms and Busts
7. Extreme Wine People
8. Celebrity Wine
9. Extreme Wine at the Movies
10. Extreme Wine Tourism
11. Extreme Wine: The Next Generation
12. Extreme Wine Adventure