Upcoming Wine Economist World Tour Appearances The Wine Economist World Tour is slowing down for the next few months — I need to finish a new book that is set for release in spring 2015 (books are like wine — it takes a while to turn the raw materials into a finished product). August 2014
- Wine Industry Symposium. August 19, 2014. Willamette Valley, Oregon. Private event.
- “A World of Wine,” World Affairs Council of Tacoma event. Wednesday, August 20, 2014. Click for details.
- Valpolicella, Italy. I’ll be joining a group of international wine bloggers to explore this fascinating wine region. Sept 1-4, 2014.
- Wine Industry Financial Symposium, Napa Valley. September 22-23, 2014. Click here for details.
- Peninsula Book Club Extreme Wine talk. Private event. November 11, 2014.
- Wine Vision. November 17-19, 2014. London. I’ll help set the stage on the opening day by talking about the state of the global wine economy today.
- Unified Wine & Grape Symposium, Sacramento, California. January 27-29, 2015. Details tba.
- World Affairs Council of Anchorage, Alaska dinner event on February 12. Details dba.
- Idaho Wine Commission annual meeting, February 17 & 18, 2015. Details tba
Rear-view Mirror: Previous World Tour Stops
Here’s a list of upcoming events. Scroll down to see the previous World Tour stops. June 2014
- The World of Syrah, Walla Walla Washington June 19-21. Sue and I will be attending this celebration of Syrah in Walla Walla and across the globe.
- American Association of Wine Economists meetings, Whitman College, Walla Walla, Washington. June 22-25, 2014. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the AAWE’s annual conference
- Whitman College. I’m giving a talk to Lee Sanning’s Wine Economics class on Monday, May 5, 2014.
- Northwest Farm Credit Services Financial Summit Conference, May 6-8, 2014. I’ll be talking about what wine can teach us about global business. (Private event.)
- Open That Bottle Night, Saturday May 10, 2014. We are celebrating this important holiday a few weeks late this year because of schedule problems. There is no wrong night to Open That Bottle, is there?
- I’m giving a book talk at a private event in Midlothian, Virginia on April 15, 2014. Hope to taste some great Virginia wines while I am in the region.
- Wine and book event at the University Bookstore in Bellevue at 6 pm on Thursday March 13, 2014. Click on this link for details.
- Special World Affairs Council of Seattle wine dinner event on February 4, 2014. Click on this link for details.
- Book event at King’s Books, Tacoma at 7 pm on the evening of February 13, 2014.
- Book talk and signing at the University Place branch of the Pierce County Library at 7 pm on Thursday February 20, 2014.
- Oporto, Portugal. ACIBEV (Associação dos Comerciantes e Industriais de Bebidas Espirituosas e Vinhos or Portugal’s Association of Traders and Producers of Spirits and Wine) has invited me to give the keynote speech at their annual meeting, which is being held on February 28 in association with the big Portuguese wine festival called Essência Do Vinho at the historic Palacio dal Bolsa in Porto.
- South Africa! VinPro Information Day – Somerset West, South Africa. January 23, 2014. Click here for details.
- Unified Symposium, Sacramento California. The biggest wine gathering in the Western Hemisphere! I’m moderating a panel on Tuesday, January 28 and speaking in the “State of the Industry” session the following day.
- I’m also giving the keynote address at the luncheon meeting of the Winegrape Growers of America at noon on Wednesday January 29.
- Finally, I’ll be signing books at the Wine Appreciation Guild booth at the Unified’s trade show from 2-3:30 on Wednesday.
- Otis Kenyon Wine Tasting Room, Woodinville, Washington. Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 3-5 pm. Click here for details.
- Great American Wine Festival, Portland, Oregon. November 16, 2013. A celebration of wine from across the U.S. Sue and I will be attending this first-time event. Hope to see you there.
- Page 2 Books, Burien, Washington. Book talk and signing from 2-4 pm on Saturday, November 23, 2013. Details tba.
- Finally Found Books, Auburn, Washington. Wine, cheese and books on the evening of Saturday, November 23, 2013. Click here for info and to purchase tickets.
- Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association “Nightcapper” meet the author event in Portland, Oregon.
- Extreme Wine is released on October 7, 2013.
- Peninsula Book Club talk. October 8, 2013. Gig Harbor, Washington.
- Extreme Wine: Idaho. October 18, 2013 at the Mouvance winery in Boise. This is an event for University of Puget Sound alumni and parents.
- Savour Australia 2013. Adelaide, Australia 15-18 September 2013. I’ll be speaking about global market opportunities in the Tuesday session of this conference.
- Ninth International Wine Forum, Mendoza Argentina. September 24, 2013. Since I can’t be in two places (Argentina and Australia) at the same time, I’ll be speaking via the internet on an “virtual panel” of international experts.
- Southern Oregon Wine Cluster Industry Conference, Jacksonville, Oregon 23 August 2013. I’ll be talking about regional wine identities in the global context. Sue and I will also attend the Southern Oregon World of Wine Festival. August 21-24, 2013 also in Jacksonville.
- Riesling Rendezvous 2013. Sue and I will be attending Riesling Rendezvous 2013, sponsored by Chateau Ste Michelle and Dr. Loosen. The event runs from July 14 to July 16.
- Northwest Farm Credit Services 2013 Wine/Vineyard Industry Symposium, Kennewick, Washington. July 24, 2013. I’ll be talking after lunch about how northwest wine fits into the changing global picture.
- Oregon Pinot Gris Symposium. Sue and I will be attending this annual event for Oregon Pinot Gris producers, which is held at Oak Knoll Vineyards.
- Taste Washington. Sue and I will be attending Taste Washington on Sunday March 24 to check out what’s new in the Washington wine scene. Hope to see you there.
- Open That Bottle Night celebration. Saturday February 23, 2013.
- Unified Wine & Grape Symposium, Sacramento, California. January 28-29, 2013.
- I’ll be on the panel for the general session on globalization and the U.S. wine industry that starts at 9 am on Tuesday, January 29 and moderator
for the “State of the Industry” panel that starts at 8:30 am on Wednesday, January 30. I’ll also be signing copies of Wine Wars at the Wine Appreciation Guild booth in the trade show from 12:30 – 2 pm on Wednesday. Please stop by Booth # 1620 and say hello if you are there.
- Boeing Management Association program. 4-6 pm on Saturday November 3, 2012 at Wine World & Spirits in Seattle. Open to Boeing Management Association members and their guests.
- Pierce County Library Donor Event. Thursday October 4, 2012.
- Tacoma Film Festival October 4-11, 2012. Boom Varietal (in which I appear) will be one of the featured films. Not sure what we’ll be doing to celebrate. Watch for details.
- International Studies Association West conference, Pasadena California. October 19-20, 2012. I’ll be talking about the political economy of global wine and participating in a teaching panel.
- World Trade Club of Seattle. August 8, 2012. 4-7 pm at Wine World & Spirits in the University District.
- Tacoma Opera Guild donor dinner. Private Event. August 8, 2012.
- American Wine Bloggers Conference, Portland, Oregon. August 17-19, 2012. I’ll be moderating one of the breakout sessions. Looking forward to meeting wine bloggers and guests!
- University of Puget Sound Alumni College. June 8-9. Details here. I’ll be talking about “Robert Mondavi and the ‘Grape Transformation’ of American Wine.”
- International Wine Wars Day. June 16, 2012: One year anniversary of Wine Wars publication. Lift a glass to celebrate!
- Eastside Business Roundtable breakfast talk, Thursday May 3. Overlake Golf and Country Club.
- University of Puget Sound Olympia area alumni event, Thursday May 3. Details here.
- University of Puget Sound Seattle alumni event at Chateau Ste Michelle. Thursday, April 12. Details here.
- Puget Sound Women’s League Luncheon. 11:30 am on April 25 in Kilworth Chapel basement, Puget Sound campus.
- Mortar Board “Last Lecture” series on “Second Thoughts.” I won’t be talking about wine, but I think it will be interesting. 7pm on April 25 in Trimble Forum, Puget Sound campus.
- World Trade Center Tacoma Monthly Lunch Meeting Friday April 27. Details here.
- Pike and Western Wine Shop book signing, Pike Place Market, Seattle April 27. I’ll be signing books from 3-6pm and the Pike and Western folks will be sampling some of their great “terroirist” wines. The tasting is free and it should be a lot of fun!
- Clover Park Kiwanis Club, Lakewood Ram Restaurant, Noon Tuesday 3/6.
- University of Puget Sound New York City alumni event. Wednesday, March 14. Details here.
- University of Puget Sound Washington DC area alumni event. Thursday, March 15. Details here.
- University of Puget Sound Honolulu alumni event. Tuesday March 27. Details here.
- Transportation Club of Seattle. Wednesday, January 11, 2012. Click here for details.
- Rotary Club of South Everett/Mukilteo. Friday, January 13, 2012.
- University of Puget Sound Olympia region Alumni Event, Thursday, January 19, 2012. Click here for details.
- Unified Wine & Grape Symposium, Sacramento, California. Wednesday, January 25, 2012. I will be moderating the “State of the Industry” session and leading an afternoon break-out on global wine supply issues.
- Wine Wars book signing at Raymond Vineyard in Rutherford, Napa Valley. Friday 1/27 from 3pm – 6pm. This is a public event to supplement the Puget Sound alumni event on Saturday.
- University of Puget Sound Bay Area region Alumni Event at Raymond Vineyards, Rutherford, California. Saturday, January 28, 2012. Click here for details.
- Mercer Island Chamber of Commerce Luncheon. Thursday, December 1, 2011. Noon.
- Retired Teachers Association of Tacoma. Saturday, December 3, 2011.
- World Affairs Council of Oregon. Thursday, December 8, 2011. Portland, Oregon. 6:30 pm at the WAC headquarters, (Madison Room, 3rd Floor, The Oregon Historical Society), 1200 SW Park Avenue, Portland, OR.
- Metropolitan Market wine tasting and book signing. Friday, December 9, 2011 from 4-7 pm. 25th & Proctor Street, Tacoma, WA. (This is the store featured in chapter 3 of Wine Wars). I’ll be chatting and signing books at the kiosk in the deli section.
- World Affairs Council of Seattle. Thursday, November 3, 2011. 6:30 to 8:30 pm, Erickson Theater, 1524 Harvard Ave, Seattle, WA.
- Washington Association of Wine Grape Growers. Thursday, November 10, 2011. Red Lion Hotel, Pasco, WA.
- Urban Enoteca Holiday Open House and book signing. Saturday, November 26, 2011. 4130 First Ave. South, Seattle, WA. I’ll be there to chat and sign books from 3-5pm, with a book talk at 3pm.
- Wine Wars Book Signing and Wine Tasting. Saturday, October 1, 2011. Powells Home and Garden Bookshop & Pastaworks Hawthorne Street. 2-4 pm. Portland Oregon.
- World Premier of Boom Varietal. Oregon Film Festival, Bend Oregon. Friday, October 7 and Saturday October 8, 2011. I appear in this interesting independent documentary on the Argentina Malbec boom.
- San Francisco Treasury Symposium keynote address “Wine Boom and Bust — with lessons for Finance in the 21st Century.” Thursday October 20, 2011. Palace Hotel, San Francisco California.
- “The Miracle of Two Buck Chuck and the Revenge of the Terroirists.” Saturday September 17 2011 11:00 am in McIntyre Hall 103, University of Puget Sound.
- ”Wine Wars: A Tale of Curses, Miracles and Revenge.” Thursday September 29 2011. 7:30 pm Linfield College, McMinnville, Oregon.
- “Wine Wars: A Tale of Curses, Miracles and Revenge.” Friday September 30 2011. Noon. McMinnville Rotary Club, McMinnville, Oregon.