It’s the end of the year and time to take inventory. The Wine Economist blog has passed a number of milestones on its way to New Year’s Eve 2013.
- Earlier this month we published the 400th post in our 6 years in residence at this address.
- We blasted through the 800,000 total visit barrier with more than 200,00 visits in 2013. This is a tiny audience be the standards of the wine blogging icons (200,000 was probably a slow weekend’s total for Gary Vaynerchuck in his web wine video heyday), but it is quite a lot for a specialized wine business publication.
- Email subscriptions have risen steadily to just under 1500 names.
- The monthly number of visits has risen from just 92 in January 2008 to over 22,00 in January 2013, the current high.
- 2013 also saw the publication of my new book Extreme Wine and research or speaking expeditions to Australia, California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Virginia. Great to see so many readers and meet so many nice folks!
Too Many Highlights!
There were too many personal and professional highlights to count this year, but one of my favorites was being interviewed by the journalist Christiane Amanpour! Click on the image below to view the video. You can see that we both had fun doing this piece!
Top Post Roadmap
Back to the blog — what did readers find most interesting? Well, most visitors headed straight for the website’s home page and so viewed the then-current post, but many (guided by emails, search engines or links on other web sites) clicked their ways to particular posts or pages. Here are the most visited specific pages this year. Gives you some idea of what brings people to this stop on the digital highway.
|I’m looking forward to 2014 and passing the million visit milepost. Hope to see you there. Happy New Year, everyone!|
|I’d be remiss if I didn’t take this opportunity to thank everyone who contributed ideas for columns, left comments on the posts or helped in one way or another with this project. Special thanks to contributing editor Sue Veseth and to Mooch the Wine Economist cat.|
Congrats Mike, love your writing.
A great 2013, Mike! I learn something new and fun every time I read your blog. I’m the friend who inspired the de-alcoholized wine posting, and I was glad to see it made your top ten. I’m still limiting my alcohol intake, but I now bump up the character of a glass of Ariel Cabernet Sauvignon by adding a couple of ounces of “real” Cab. A purist would be horrified, I’m sure, but it makes for a very satisfying “everyday” glass of wine with dinner.
Keep up the GREAT work, Mike, Sue and Mooch!
I enjoy your books just finished Wine Wars and Extreme Wine. I hope you write more.
I’m just getting into your blogs.
Thanks, Dino. There are plans for a new book in 2015. In the meantime, hope you enjoy the blog.