Upcoming Wine Economist World Tour Stops
Scroll down to see both my upcoming appearance calendar and the previous World Tour stops. Check back frequently — several speaking engagements are in the planning stage.
Notice: We’ve put the World Tour on pause for now. We’ll be back on the road once the uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus situation has cleared.
Scroll down to see previous World Tour stops.
- Vashon Island, USA: “Around the World in Eighty Wines” book talk and wine tasting on Sunday, February 2, 2020 as part of the lecture series at the Vashon Center for the Arts.
- Sacramento, USA: Unified Wine and Grape Symposium, Sacramento. February 4-6, 2020. I will speak at and moderate the “State of the Industry” panel.
- Milan, Italy. I will participate (via video) in a October 10 program on sustainability in wine during Milano Wine Week.
- Canada: British Columbia Enology and Viticulture Conference and Trade Show July 15-16, 2019 in Penticton BC. I will be talking about an economist’s view of sustainability in the wine business.
- Friuli, Italy: Sue and I are looking forward to traveling to Italy to participate in the Consorzio Collio’s Enjoy Collio Experience on May 27-June 2, 2019.May 2019
- Sardinia: Porto Cervo Wine & Food Festival May 16-19, 2019.
- Portugal: Climate Change: Solutions for the Wine Industry, Porto, Portugal. March 6-7, 2019. I am moderating and speaking at a session on Efficiency & Economics: Call to Action.
- Washington: Washington Winegrowers Convention & Trade Show Kennewick, Washington. February 11-14, 2019. I will heading up the State of the Industry panel and also talking about the market for Rosé wine. [I was scheduled to speak but my flight was cancelled at the last minute and I was unable to attend.]
- California: Unified Wine & Grape Symposium, Sacramento, California. January 29-31 2019. I am speaking at and moderating the “State of the Industry” session again this year.
- Romania: International Wine Competition Romania, November 1-4, 2018.
- Italy: Sue and I will be in Conegliano, Italy in late September to help iconic Prosecco producer Carpenè Malvolti celebrate their 150th anniversary.
- I will talk on a panel discussing “Competing on a Global Stage” at the California Association of Winegrape Growers Summer Conference at the Silverado Resort in Napa, California on July 17.
- I am doing a charity-fundraising “Around the World in 80 Wines” talk and tasting on July 29. Private event.
- I’ll be speaking about “Around the World in Eighty Wines” and leading a wine tasting as part of the University of Puget Sound’s Summer Reunion Weekend Alumni College. June 8-9, 2018.
- Sue and I will be in Forte dei Marmi, Italy on June 18 for VinoVIP al Forte. I will talk about money and wine in the global market context.
- Sue and I will be in France to participate in two programs: Terroir and Millésimes in Languedoc and Roussillon from April 15-22 and Val de Loire Millésimes from April 22-25.
- I’m happy to talk about “Around the World in Eighty Wines” for the Kiwanis Club of Clover Park on May 15, 2018.
- I’ll talk about “Around the World in Eighty Wines” on TV Tacoma’s “CityLine” television show.
- Washington Winegrowers convention and trade show February 6-8, 2018 in Kennewick, Washington. I will be speaking at the “State of the Industry” session on the morning of February 7.
- The Idaho Wine Commission’s annual meeting will be on February 13-15 in Boise. I will be speaking about global trends and local impacts on the morning of February 14.
- Local meets global: I’ll talk about “Around the World in Eighty Wines” from the vineyard point of view at a special evening meeting of the Tacoma Garden Club on February 21, 2018.
- The World Tour comes to Grand Junction, Colorado where I will be speaking at the VinCO Conference & Trade Show January 15-18. I’ll be giving three talks: “Secrets of the World’s Most Respected Wine Regions,” “The Future of Small Wineries,” and “Around the World in Eighty Wines.”
- Unified Wine & Grape Symposium. January 23-25, 2018 , Sacramento California. I will be moderating and speaking at the “State of the Industry” session on January 24.
- My new book Around the World in Eight Wines will be released on November 1, 2017!
- Sue and I will be in Spain and Portugal for private wine industry events in November — November 8 in Madrid and Nov 9 in Porto.
- I’ll be chatting with Natalie MacLean on her Facebook live show on Sunday Nov 26 at 6pm EST. Watch for more details.
- I am giving a talk as part of a series on the global wine industry at the Universidad Nacional de Cuyo in Mendoza, Argentina at 5pm on Wednesday, September 27, 2017.
- I will speak at the United Nations World Tourism Organization’s 2nd Global Conference on Wine Tourism, which will be held in Mendoza, Argentina on September 28-30, 2017.
- Sue and I will attend the 10th Cyprus Wine Competition in Paphos, Cyprus on May 2-6. I will give a seminar about “Secrets of the World’s Most Respected Wine Regions” and lessons that might be useful to the Cyprus wine industry.
- I will be speaking to the General Assembly of the Federacion Española del Vino (Spanish Wine Federation) in Valladolid, Spain on March 28, 2017. Here are details.
- “Wine Drinker: Know Thyself.” This is a wine tasting and workshop for staff at the University of Puget Sound. January 11, 2017.
- The Unified Wine & Grape Symposium in Sacramento, California is North America’s largest wine industry gathering. This year I will again moderate and speak at the State of the Industry session on January 25, 2017.
- I’m speaking at the first global wine tourism conference to be organized by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). The event is set for September 7-9, 2016 in the Republic of Georgia. Here are links to the preliminary program and registration information.
- Sue and I look forward to attending Riesling Rendezvous, the international Riesling symposium sponsored by Chateau Ste Michelle and Dr. Loosen. July 17-19 in Seattle.
- I will be speaking and leading a discussion and wine tasting at a special showing of “Somm: Into the Bottle” at The Grand Cinema in Tacoma, Washington on Thursday, June 9, 2016. Click here for details.
- I will be speaking at the 10th Alentejo Wine & Vine Symposium in Evora, Portugal on May 4-6, 2016.
- I will be speaking at a University of Puget Sound Seattle-area alumni event on May 19, 2016. Details here.
- I will be speaking at a fund-raising event called “Globalization in Your Wine Glass” for the World Affairs Council of Alaska in Anchorage, Alaska on Saturday, March 26, 2016.
- Sue and I will be joining the faculty of the 2016 Professional Wine Writers Symposium, which will take place February 16-19, 2016 at the Meadowood Napa Valley resort.
- Once again this year I will be moderating the “State of the Industry” session at the Unified Wine & Grape Symposium in Sacramento on January 27, 2016.
- I’ll be speaking at the International Congress on Sustainability “SUSTAINABILITY AS A TRIBUTE TO WINE QUALITY”, that will be held on 3rd November 2015 and “DISCOVER THE SENSORY FACTORS”, that will be held on 4th November 2015 during the 26th edition of SIMEI – International Enological and Bottling Equipment Exhibition in Milan, Italy. This event is sponsored by Unione Italiana Vini.
- I’m giving a luncheon keynote address to the annual meetings of the Academy of International Business US West Chapter at the University of Washington in Seattle on Friday, October 23, 2015.
- Sue and I will be attending A Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Charles Coury Planting of vines in the Willamette Valley at the David Hill Vineyards & Winery in Forest Grove, Oregon on August 1, 2015. Hope to see our Oregon friends for the trade tasting and then the public BBQ that follows.
- My new book Money, Taste and Wine: It’s Complicated will be released on August 4, 2015.
- I’m doing a fund-raising wine dinner for a local service club on August 15. Private event.
- I will be speaking on an “Insights” program at the British Columbia Wine Institute annual meeting, July 6, 2015 Osoyoos, BC. Here is the program.
- I will be on a panel of local bloggers discussing the blogosphere and its discontents on July 15 from 7-8 pm at the Tacoma Public Library‘s Olympic Room
- California Association of Winegrape Growers Summer Conference on July 22-24, 2015 at the Silverado Resort & Spa in Napa, California. I’ll be speaking with Wine Market Council president John Gillispie on “Wine Market Update and Insights” on Thursday, July 23.
- Scoula Enologica di Conegliano, Conegliano, Italy. I will be giving two lectures on June 9 and 10. The first seminar is titled “Anatomy of the U.S. Wine Market” and the second “Wines of the Veneto: A SWOT Analysis of the U.S. Market.”
- I’m giving an “Extreme Wine” talk as part of the Senior University program at Franke Tobey Jones on Wednesday June 24 at 6pm. There will be wine-tasting!
- Admiral Theatre Foundation Spring Release Wine Dinner featuring Hedges Family Estate wines. I will be speaking at this fund-raising dinner in Bremerton, Washington at 5 pm on Sunday, May 3, 2015. Details here. Looks like a great meal, wonderful wine and a good cause.
- Ramona Valley California AVA “A Grape Day in the Backountry” Symposium, May 20, 2015. Details here.
- Walla Walla Business Summit, April 10, 2015. Marcus Whitman Hotel, Walla Walla, Washington. I’ll be speaking on the topic “How to Make a Small Fortune in the Wine Business (and other lessons for people in and out of the wine game).”
- I’m doing a fund-raising wine dinner for a local service club on April 18. Private event.
- Winery & Grower Alliance of Ontario “Insight 2015” conference. March 3, 2015. Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.
- Vino 2015, a series of seminars and tastings sponsored by the Italian Trade Commission at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York City on February 2-4, 2015. I’ll be speaking about the U.S. market for Italian wines in the opening session.
- Juneau World Affairs Council event on February 11, 2015. 5pm at the KTOO studios.
- Alaska World Affairs Council in Anchorage dinner event on February 12. Should be great wine, good and extreme wine stories.
- Idaho Wine Commission annual meeting, February 17 & 18, 2015. Here is the agenda.
- Unified Wine & Grape Symposium, Sacramento, California. January 27-29, 2015. I’m on Wednesday’s “State of the Industry” panel again this year.
- Peninsula Book Club Extreme Wine talk. Private event. November 11, 2014.
- Finally Found Books, Auburn, Washington. Wine Wars and Extreme Wine book talk and signing. 6-8 pm. Click on the link to reserve your place.
- Wine Vision. November 17-19, 2014. London. This is a global CEO-level wine industry conference. I’ll help set the stage on the opening day by talking about the state of the global wine economy today.
- Scoula Enologica di Conegliano, Conegliano, Italy. I will be doing a pair of wine industry “webinars” on November 26 and 27. The first seminar is titled “Anatomy of the U.S. Wine Market” and the second “Wines of the Veneto: A SWOT Analysis of the U.S. Market.”
- Valpolicella, Italy. Sue and I will be joining a team of international wine bloggers to explore this fascinating wine region and test out a new App to help wine tourists navigate the many options. Sept 1-4, 2014. We will also visit Prosecco with wine economist colleagues and then examine the Bisol family’s Venissa winery project in Venice.
- Wine Industry Financial Symposium, Napa Valley. September 22-23, 2014. Click here for details.
- Wine Industry Symposium. August 19, 2014. Willamette Valley, Oregon. Private event.
- “A World of Wine,” World Affairs Council of Tacoma event. Wednesday, August 20, 2014. Click for details.
- The World of Syrah, Walla Walla Washington June 19-21. Sue and I will be attending this celebration of Syrah in Walla Walla and across the globe.
- American Association of Wine Economists meetings, Whitman College, Walla Walla, Washington. June 22-25, 2014. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the AAWE’s annual conference
- Whitman College. I’m giving a talk to Lee Sanning’s Wine Economics class on Monday, May 5, 2014.
- Northwest Farm Credit Services Financial Summit Conference, May 6-8, 2014. I’ll be talking about what wine can teach us about global business. (Private event.)
- Open That Bottle Night, Saturday May 10, 2014. We are celebrating this important holiday a few weeks late this year because of schedule problems. There is no wrong night to Open That Bottle, is there?
- I’m giving a book talk at a private event in Midlothian, Virginia on April 15, 2014. Hope to taste some great Virginia wines while I am in the region.
- Wine and book event at the University Bookstore in Bellevue at 6 pm on Thursday March 13, 2014. Click on this link for details.
- Special World Affairs Council of Seattle wine dinner event on February 4, 2014. Click on this link for details.
- Book event at King’s Books, Tacoma at 7 pm on the evening of February 13, 2014.
- Book talk and signing at the University Place branch of the Pierce County Library at 7 pm on Thursday February 20, 2014.
- Oporto, Portugal. ACIBEV (Associação dos Comerciantes e Industriais de Bebidas Espirituosas e Vinhos or Portugal’s Association of Traders and Producers of Spirits and Wine) has invited me to give the keynote speech at their annual meeting, which is being held on February 28 in association with the big Portuguese wine festival called Essência Do Vinho at the historic Palacio dal Bolsa in Porto.
- South Africa! VinPro Information Day — Somerset West, South Africa. January 23, 2014. Click here for details.
- Unified Symposium, Sacramento California. The biggest wine gathering in the Western Hemisphere! I’m moderating a panel on Tuesday, January 28 and speaking in the “State of the Industry” session the following day.
- I’m also giving the keynote address at the luncheon meeting of the Winegrape Growers of America at noon on Wednesday January 29.
- Finally, I’ll be signing books at the Wine Appreciation Guild booth at the Unified’s trade show from 2-3:30 on Wednesday.
- Otis Kenyon Wine Tasting Room, Woodinville, Washington. Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 3-5 pm. Click here for details.
- Great American Wine Festival, Portland, Oregon. November 16, 2013. A celebration of wine from across the U.S. Sue and I will be attending this first-time event. Hope to see you there.
- Page 2 Books, Burien, Washington. Book talk and signing from 2-4 pm on Saturday, November 23, 2013. Details tba.
- Finally Found Books, Auburn, Washington. Wine, cheese and books on the evening of Saturday, November 23, 2013. Click here for info and to purchase tickets.
- Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association “Nightcapper” meet the author event in Portland, Oregon.
- Extreme Wine is released on October 7, 2013.
- Peninsula Book Club talk. October 8, 2013. Gig Harbor, Washington.
- Extreme Wine: Idaho. October 18, 2013 at the Mouvance winery in Boise. This is an event for University of Puget Sound alumni and parents.
- Savour Australia 2013. Adelaide, Australia 15-18 September 2013. I’ll be speaking about global market opportunities in the Tuesday session of this conference.
- Ninth International Wine Forum, Mendoza Argentina. September 24, 2013. Since I can’t be in two places (Argentina and Australia) at the same time, I’ll be speaking via the internet on an “virtual panel” of international experts.
- Southern Oregon Wine Cluster Industry Conference, Jacksonville, Oregon 23 August 2013. I’ll be talking about regional wine identities in the global context. Sue and I will also attend the Southern Oregon World of Wine Festival. August 21-24, 2013 also in Jacksonville.
- Riesling Rendezvous 2013. Sue and I will be attending Riesling Rendezvous 2013, sponsored by Chateau Ste Michelle and Dr. Loosen. The event runs from July 14 to July 16.
- Northwest Farm Credit Services 2013 Wine/Vineyard Industry Symposium, Kennewick, Washington. July 24, 2013. I’ll be talking after lunch about how northwest wine fits into the changing global picture.
- Oregon Pinot Gris Symposium. Sue and I will be attending this annual event for Oregon Pinot Gris producers, which is held at Oak Knoll Vineyards.
- Taste Washington. Sue and I will be attending Taste Washington on Sunday March 24 to check out what’s new in the Washington wine scene. Hope to see you there.
- Open That Bottle Night celebration. Saturday February 23, 2013.
- Unified Wine & Grape Symposium, Sacramento, California. January 28-29, 2013.
- I’ll be on the panel for the general session on globalization and the U.S. wine industry that starts at 9 am on Tuesday, January 29 and moderator
for the “State of the Industry” panel that starts at 8:30 am on Wednesday, January 30. I’ll also be signing copies of Wine Wars at the Wine Appreciation Guild booth in the trade show from 12:30 – 2 pm on Wednesday. Please stop by Booth # 1620 and say hello if you are there.
- Boeing Management Association program. 4-6 pm on Saturday November 3, 2012 at Wine World & Spirits in Seattle. Open to Boeing Management Association members and their guests.
- Pierce County Library Donor Event. Thursday October 4, 2012.
- Tacoma Film Festival October 4-11, 2012. Boom Varietal (in which I appear) will be one of the featured films. Not sure what we’ll be doing to celebrate. Watch for details.
- International Studies Association West conference, Pasadena California. October 19-20, 2012. I’ll be talking about the political economy of global wine and participating in a teaching panel.
- World Trade Club of Seattle. August 8, 2012. 4-7 pm at Wine World & Spirits in the University District.
- Tacoma Opera Guild donor dinner. Private Event. August 8, 2012.
- American Wine Bloggers Conference, Portland, Oregon. August 17-19, 2012. I’ll be moderating one of the breakout sessions. Looking forward to meeting wine bloggers and guests!
- University of Puget Sound Alumni College. June 8-9. Details here. I’ll be talking about “Robert Mondavi and the ‘Grape Transformation’ of American Wine.”
- International Wine Wars Day. June 16, 2012: One year anniversary of Wine Wars publication. Lift a glass to celebrate!
- Eastside Business Roundtable breakfast talk, Thursday May 3. Overlake Golf and Country Club.
- University of Puget Sound Olympia area alumni event, Thursday May 3. Details here.
- University of Puget Sound Seattle alumni event at Chateau Ste Michelle. Thursday, April 12. Details here.
- Puget Sound Women’s League Luncheon. 11:30 am on April 25 in Kilworth Chapel basement, Puget Sound campus.
- Mortar Board “Last Lecture” series on “Second Thoughts.” I won’t be talking about wine, but I think it will be interesting. 7pm on April 25 in Trimble Forum, Puget Sound campus.
- World Trade Center Tacoma Monthly Lunch Meeting Friday April 27. Details here.
- Pike and Western Wine Shop book signing, Pike Place Market, Seattle April 27. I’ll be signing books from 3-6pm and the Pike and Western folks will be sampling some of their great “terroirist” wines. The tasting is free and it should be a lot of fun!
- Clover Park Kiwanis Club, Lakewood Ram Restaurant, Noon Tuesday 3/6.
- University of Puget Sound New York City alumni event. Wednesday, March 14. Details here.
- University of Puget Sound Washington DC area alumni event. Thursday, March 15. Details here.
- University of Puget Sound Honolulu alumni event. Tuesday March 27. Details here.
- Transportation Club of Seattle. Wednesday, January 11, 2012. Click here for details.
- Rotary Club of South Everett/Mukilteo. Friday, January 13, 2012.
- University of Puget Sound Olympia region Alumni Event, Thursday, January 19, 2012. Click here for details.
- Unified Wine & Grape Symposium, Sacramento, California. Wednesday, January 25, 2012. I will be moderating the “State of the Industry” session and leading an afternoon break-out on global wine supply issues.
- Wine Wars book signing at Raymond Vineyard in Rutherford, Napa Valley. Friday 1/27 from 3pm – 6pm. This is a public event to supplement the Puget Sound alumni event on Saturday.
- University of Puget Sound Bay Area region Alumni Event at Raymond Vineyards, Rutherford, California. Saturday, January 28, 2012. Click here for details.
- Mercer Island Chamber of Commerce Luncheon. Thursday, December 1, 2011. Noon.
- Retired Teachers Association of Tacoma. Saturday, December 3, 2011.
- World Affairs Council of Oregon. Thursday, December 8, 2011. Portland, Oregon. 6:30 pm at the WAC headquarters, (Madison Room, 3rd Floor, The Oregon Historical Society), 1200 SW Park Avenue, Portland, OR.
- Metropolitan Market wine tasting and book signing. Friday, December 9, 2011 from 4-7 pm. 25th & Proctor Street, Tacoma, WA. (This is the store featured in chapter 3 of Wine Wars). I’ll be chatting and signing books at the kiosk in the deli section.
- World Affairs Council of Seattle. Thursday, November 3, 2011. 6:30 to 8:30 pm, Erickson Theater, 1524 Harvard Ave, Seattle, WA.
- Washington Association of Wine Grape Growers. Thursday, November 10, 2011. Red Lion Hotel, Pasco, WA.
- Urban Enoteca Holiday Open House and book signing. Saturday, November 26, 2011. 4130 First Ave. South, Seattle, WA. I’ll be there to chat and sign books from 3-5pm, with a book talk at 3pm.
- Wine Wars Book Signing and Wine Tasting. Saturday, October 1, 2011. Powells Home and Garden Bookshop & Pastaworks Hawthorne Street. 2-4 pm. Portland Oregon.
- World Premier of Boom Varietal. Oregon Film Festival, Bend Oregon. Friday, October 7 and Saturday October 8, 2011. I appear in this interesting independent documentary on the Argentina Malbec boom.
- San Francisco Treasury Symposium keynote address “Wine Boom and Bust — with lessons for Finance in the 21st Century.” Thursday October 20, 2011. Palace Hotel, San Francisco California.
- “The Miracle of Two Buck Chuck and the Revenge of the Terroirists.” Saturday September 17 2011 11:00 am in McIntyre Hall 103, University of Puget Sound.
- ”Wine Wars: A Tale of Curses, Miracles and Revenge.” Thursday September 29 2011. 7:30 pm Linfield College, McMinnville, Oregon.
- “Wine Wars: A Tale of Curses, Miracles and Revenge.” Friday September 30 2011. Noon. McMinnville Rotary Club, McMinnville, Oregon.