The Wine Economist returns to the road in a few weeks. Here are some of the stops we plan during the summer months.
- I’ll be speaking about “Around the World in Eighty Wines” and leading a wine tasting as part of the University of Puget Sound’s Summer Reunion Weekend Alumni College. June 8-9, 2018. The good folks at Carpenè Malvolti, the famous Conegliano Prosecco house, have kindly donated some of their fine wine for a tasting. Lucky alumni students!
- Sue and I will be in Forte dei Marmi, Italy on June 18 for VinoVIP. I will talk about money and wine in the global market context. I am very excited to join a group of Italian wine luminaries on the program and to meet everyone at this great event at the famous Italian seaside resort. We will stop briefly in Bologna on our way to VinoVIP to see old friends (I taught at the Johns Hopkins/SAIS Center in Bologna many years ago) and to visit Eataly World.
Here is the VinoVIP program:
Money & Wine: A Global Perspective (Mike Veseth),
“Italian challenges” (Angelo Gaja),
“how to manage a wine company: the basics” (Ettore Nicoletto, CEO Gruppo Santa Margherita),
“routes of wine – main markets: what are they buying?” (Denis Pantini from Nomisma wine research unit),
“SWOT of Italian wine industry” (Piero Mastroberardino). Quite an all-star lineup!
- I will take part in a panel discussing “Competing on a Global Stage” at the California Association of Winegrape Growers Summer Conference at the Silverado Resort in Napa, California on July 17.
- I’m happy to speak at a private program featuring “Around the World in Eighty Wines” to support the Northwest Sinfonietta music organization on July 29.
- Sue and I are tentatively planning to participate in the 3rd global wine tourism conference sponsored by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) The conference will be held on September 6-7 in Chisinau, Moldova.
- We hope to visit Romania after the UNWTO conference and perhaps give a talk to celebrate publication of the Romanian-language translation of Wine Wars. Details tba.
Alessandro Torcoli Direttore Civiltà del bere
Editoriale Lariana Srl Via P.L. da Palestrina 12 20124 Milano Tel 02.76.11.03.03
Follow us! http://www.civiltadelbere.com Facebook https://www.facebook.com/civilta.delbere Twitter https://twitter.com/Civiltabere Instagram https://www.instagram.com/civiltadelbere Pinterest https://it.pinterest.com/civiltadelbere
Hello Mike: Interesting that you were at Johns Hopkins in Bologna – my sister and brother in law taught there for a year but I’m guessing way before your time unless the name “Grathwol” sounds familiar!!!
The name doesn’t ring a bell, but my memory isn’t what it used to be!